We have gotten in buddy groups with only about 10 kids and our goal has been to learn each of their names and connect especially with those kids. Thanks to Tracy Harper, all my kids have turtle stickers on their nametags, so we've become the tortugas ('turtles' in Spanish). Whenever my kids see me they yell "Katie! La tortuga!" and run to me for a hug. It is honestly the best feeling when you are wrapped up in a conversation or looking through your bag for something and you feel a little boy wrap his arms around you like you are his whole world.
I should probably mention that I'm not so good with kids. My sister is amazing; she loves them and they love her, but it has never been my gift. Fortunately, that doesn't matter in the least here. The kids are excited to see me and love to show me their drawings and introduce me to their friends and family. They want me to take their picture and they want to take pictures with me. They teach me Spanish words when I don't understand and everyday they ask me "Manana tu vas a venir?" (Which, I'm pretty sure, means 'Tomorrow are you going to come?'). Every other day I've been able to say yes but tomorrow I won't be so lucky. We'll be partying all day and I'm not looking forward to having to say goodbye. I hope to come back with the youth group in the summer of 2012 but telling a 7 year old that I'll see them again when they are 9 doesn't do much to comfort them (and I have a feeling it won't work so well for me either).
Well, I'd better be going to sleep so the kids don't run circles around me with their partying. :)
Katie Fullerton
Praying for you all to have a great party and for God to strengthen you through all the good-bye's. I know that God has used all of you to show the love of Jesus to them and can't wait to hear more details when you all return. Praying also for continued safe travels.
ReplyDelete