“The little children were brought to Jesus for him to
place his hands on them and pray for them.” Jesus
said, “Let the little children come to me and do not
hinder them for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such
as these.” (Matt. 19:13-14) It was a day to remember….
As I walked through the “community” I witnessed Miguel
sitting in a chair near the bakery surrounded by children.
He would place his hands on their faces, kiss their
heads, and hug them – calling each by name. I felt as
though I was in the presence of Jesus. I watched him
hold babies, embrace children, run to them when they
were hurt, and smile because “his kids” were happy and
experiencing love in its purest form. “Children are a
gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him. (Psalm
127:3) I am having difficulty finding words to tell you
how amazing the “community” is and how happy the
children are there. Many of their prayer requests are
for the children on the streets who do not have food
or homes. They are thankful for Miguel and the love he
provides for them. They say they are blessed with food
every day and a good home. They pray for us and thank
us over and over for coming and spending time with them.
When we arrived at the “community” on Sunday
morning, almost 800 children greeted us with smiles,
hugs, and kisses – little 3 year olds all the way up to
18 year old boys. It was an overwhelming and precious
moment. Many children remembered those on our team
who had been before – squeals of excitement were heard
throughout the chapel! Children immediately climbed in
our laps even though they did not know us, as if they had
been waiting for us to arrive (even though Miguel doesn’t
tell them when we are coming). We sat captured by the
words of Miguel as he told us his story – how God called
him to the “community”. We were all emotional as he
told us about the death of his son and about the anger
he had toward God. Miguel has such a presence there
and is respected and loved by all. The children would do
anything for Miguel.
Later, Miguel took us on a tour of the “community”
– showing us the bakery, the new pre-school and
welding shop (which will be finished in a week or two),
the cafeteria, the school, the Casas, and the baby
house. As we walked in the baby house, babies 15 days
old up to toddlers were there eating, sleeping and
playing. When we walked in many reached up asking
us to hold them. Their smiles warmed our hearts!
Throughout the week we sang, prayed, played, and
just held and loved on children. This trip we were
fortunate enough to have 73 members on our team. We
were able to divide the children into small groups of
about 8-12 to establish and build relationships. Our
group studied Women of the Bible, sang songs in English
and Spanish, made crafts, and had “buddy” time. It was
during the buddy time that relationships were fostered.
I taught my girls to say “I am your friend” in English –
they were so proud of themselves! I could tell that they
had learned some phrases in English over the years
because they would write on their papers “I love you
forever” and “Never forget me”.
The last day at the “community” was the most
difficult. That morning, my girls began asking if I had to
go back to America and if I would come again next year.
Many of them would look me in the eyes and ask me to
promise that I would come to see them again next year.
How could I say anything but “yes”! As the time came for
our group to go, we began saying our good-byes to the
kids. My girls and I wrapped our arms around each other
– such an emotional moment. It just ripped my heart out.
I quickly realized how hard this was going to be for me
even though I had been warned about it all week.
Because of the language barrier, I would have to call a
translator over to help me tell the girls how much I loved
them and would miss them. I told them I would pray for
them! They would then tell the translator to tell me that
they would remember me forever and beg me to never
forget them.
As I walked toward the bus, my girls would follow
me, begging with their eyes for one more hug. Each
step was a little harder to take knowing they were right
behind me. I would feel their hands touch my hand or
tugs at my sleeve.
It was then that I realized these girls - some
abused, most abandon, all just wanting to be loved - were
afraid of being left alone and forgotten. I am forever
changed by the unconditional love and innocent hearts of
these children!
I will remember them!
Melissa Warner
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your post. I was privileged to stay with the children at this community the summer of 2007. That now being almost eight years ago, it's hard to believe how indelibly imprinted upon my mind and heart those children were and still are!
I'm glad this community is still vibrant and flourishing as I remember. Thanks for your post. I hope one day the Lord will lead me back to this community to spend more time with these angels.
May our Lord bless you and keep you, Melissa!
Thanks again.